By Cloves Carneiro Jr
Beginning Rails is the sensible start line for a person desirous to the right way to construct dynamic internet purposes utilizing the Rails framework for Ruby. You’ll learn the way all the elements of Rails healthy jointly and the way you could leverage them to create refined internet functions with much less code and extra joy.
This ebook is very compatible to these with very little adventure with net program improvement, or who've a few event yet are new to Rails. starting Rails assumes uncomplicated familiarity with internet phrases and applied sciences, yet does not require you to be an expert.
- A mild advent to the Ruby programming language
- Installing Ruby and Rails on a Mac, Linux, or home windows method
- The philosophy in the back of Rails and why it concerns
- The Model-View-Controller structure
- The fundamentals of relational databases and SQL
- Setting up a MySQL database and making a schema with migrations
- Experimenting along with your stay program within the Rails console
- Creating wealthy relationships among your versions
- Using controllers and templates thoroughly
- Leveraging helpers to maintain your templates fresh and good judgment loose
- Adding Ajax and visible results to complement your person interfaces
- How to ship and obtain mail out of your software
- Using and developing your individual plug-ins
- Ensuring your code opposed to Murphy’s legislations via writing checks
- Using Capistrano to install your program
Rather than delving into the arcane information of Rails, the focal point is at the elements of the framework that might turn into your choose, shovel, and awl. half heritage lesson, half creation to object-oriented programming, and half dissertation on open resource software program, Beginning Rails doesn’t simply clarify the way to do whatever in Rails, it explains why.
Every programmer fondly recalls the publication that helped them start. The objective of Beginning Rails is to develop into that booklet for you, today.
Table of Contents
- Introducing the Rails Framework
- Getting began
- Getting whatever operating
- Working with a Database: lively list
- Advanced energetic list: improving Your versions
- Action Pack:Working with the View and the Controller
- Improving interplay with Ajax
- Sending and Receiving Mail
- Testing Your program
- Extending Rails with Plugins
- Deploying Your Rails functions
Read or Download Beginning Rails: From Novice to Professional PDF
Best database storage & design books
Written with readability and a down-to-earth process, Sams educate your self SQL Server 2005 show in 24 Hours covers the fundamentals of Microsoft's most recent model of SQL Server. professional writer Alison Balter takes you from simple options to an intermediate point in 24 one-hour classes. you are going to research the entire easy projects worthwhile for the management of SQL Server 2005.
This booklet is a treasury for ETL builders / architects. it's very diverse from different ETL books within the method that it's written with a top-to-bottom method rather than concentrating on info of an ETL device. every one bankruptcy provides an issue that an ETL developer/architect will face in the course of a true undertaking.
Java and databases make a robust blend. Getting the 2 facets to interact, notwithstanding, takes a few effort--largely simply because Java bargains in items whereas such a lot databases don't. This e-book describes the normal Java interfaces that make moveable object-oriented entry to relational databases attainable and gives a strong version for writing functions which are effortless to take care of.
Microsoft SQL Server is utilized by thousands of companies, ranging in measurement from Fortune 500s to small outlets around the globe. even if you are simply getting all started as a DBA, helping a SQL Server-driven program, or you have been drafted by means of your workplace because the SQL Server admin, you don't need a thousand-page booklet to wake up and working.
- Platform Embedded Security Technology Revealed: Safeguarding the Future of Computing with Intel Embedded Security and Management Engine
- Pro SQL Server Always On Availability Groups
- The Definitive Guide to SQLite
- Recommender Systems: An Introduction
- Crystal Reports 10 For Dummies
- Excel 2007 Data Analysis For Dummies
Extra info for Beginning Rails: From Novice to Professional
Most likely, however, it’s not. You’ll therefore need to install it. Once you have Ruby installed, you’ll be able to install a package manager (a program designed to help you install and maintain software on your system) called RubyGems. You’ll use that to install Rails. 7, the Apple-provided version of Ruby on your computer might be ill-configured. You should follow the instructions for compiling your own version of Ruby to bypass the built-in one, as outlined in this chapter. Building your own Ruby installation is probably a good idea in any case, as it will keep you from being bitten by any changes to the built-in version of Ruby by future system updates from Apple.
C, C#, Lisp, Java, Smalltalk, PHP, and Python are popular choices. And then there are others you’ve probably never heard of: Haskel, IO, and maybe even Ruby. Like the others, Ruby is a programming language. You use it to write computer programs, including, but certainly not limited to, web applications. Before Rails came along, not many people were writing web applications with Ruby. Other languages like PHP and ASP were the dominant players in the field, and a large part of the web is powered by them.
MVC isn’t the only design pattern for web applications, but it does happen to be the one that Rails has chosen to implement. And it turns out that it works great for web development. By separating concerns into different layers, changes to one of them don’t have an impact on the others, resulting in faster development cycles and easier maintenance. The MVC Cycle Although MVC comes in different flavors, control flow generally works as follows (see Figure 1-1): 1. The user interacts with the interface and triggers an event (for example, submits a registration form).