By Michael Corey, Jeff Szastak, Michael Webster
The start-to-finish consultant to virtualizing business-critical SQL Server databases on VMware vSphere 5
By virtualizing business-critical databases, corporations can force way more price from current IT infrastructure. yet squeezing greatest functionality out of a virtualized database example is an paintings up to a technology. This necessary start-to-finish consultant brings jointly all of the thoughts, counsel, and insights you want to succeed.
Drawing on unsurpassed own adventure, 3 major specialists percentage whole most sensible practices for deploying business-critical database servers in virtualized vSphere five environments. They disguise the whole venture lifecycle, bridging technical and communications gaps among SQL Server and VMware execs that regularly make database virtualization more challenging than it must be.
You’ll locate particular tips for architects and directors accountable for platforms, garage, databases, functions, or VMware virtualization. The authors additionally current targeted, start-to-finish assurance of functionality baselining and trying out: all you want to make your virtualized databases as speedy as they're comparatively cheap. even supposing this ebook makes a speciality of SQL, the authors’ confirmed suggestions for boosting functionality might be leveraged via any IT specialist virtualizing a tough Tier 1 application.
• enterprise situations for database virtualization: consolidation, Database as a carrier (DaaS), potency, and “SLAs on steroids”
• utilizing the redundancy inherent in virtualization to enhance availability
• developing a cautious, conservative implementation plan
• Balancing disk, CPU, reminiscence, and community for enhanced performance
• gaining knowledge of the 5 key rules of database garage design
• Leveraging reminiscence: SQL MAX, web page locking, NUMA, reservations, swapping, huge reminiscence pages, and more
• making sure responsiveness through supplying a quick, trustworthy, low-latency network
• helping complicated AlwaysOn Failover Cluster situations and Availability Groups
• Baselining actual platforms and correctly deciding on source requirements
• Configuring functionality exams from starting to end
• Migrating present SQL Server databases onto a vSphere platform
• heading off traps and pitfalls in virtualizing creation databases
• coping with and tracking virtualized database situations and assets